Danville Head Start
Welcome to Head Start!
Phone 570-271-3268 ext. 3700
PLEASE APPLY ABOVE
What is Head Start?
Danville Head Start is a comprehensive, free preschool program providing education, health services, and social services for children and families. Together, Head Start and parents become partners in giving children a "head start" for school success. We serve 121 preschool children (85 enrolled in Head Start and 36 enrolled in Pre-K Counts) throughout Montour County and the Danville Area School District. Our school days are Monday-Friday from 8:45 am to 2:30 pm.
What can I expect from Head Start?
Head Start offers:
- A certified teacher and an education assistant staff all classrooms. Students receive individualized education using Creative Curriculum and kindergarten readiness skills are emphasized. Children learn to share, take turns, and respect each other while learning to do things independently and developing a positive self-image.
- Parent Involvement
- The secret of Head Start's success is that parents are involved in all aspects of their children's education. Parents can volunteer in the classroom or join various planning committees.
- Health & Nutrition
- A nutritious, family-style breakfast and lunch are served daily. Children receive on-site vision, hearing, and speech screenings, and brush their teeth daily.
- Special Needs Services
- For children with disabilities, services which meet the child's individual needs are provided in the classrooms.
- Transportation for Head Start students is provided at designated bussing stops throughout the community.
- Social Services
- All families receive strength-based support services from a qualified Family Advocate. Families are linked to community resources, and individualized goal setting and problem solving occur through Family Partnership Agreement visits.